My testimony before Portland City Council on predatory towing is up on the City website, beginning at about 4:00. The Council met on November 27.
Both Mayor Hales and Commissioner Fish promised robust follow-up….
I told them this:
“…Portland’s PPI towing system is built upon these fundamentals:
(1) An uninformed public, unaware of their rights under the law;
(2) Failure to enforce existing state laws and the city’s own ordinances;
(3) PPI contracts based upon illegal consideration; that is, apartment owners/managers receiving free towing services in exchange for allowing a tower the privilege of towing vehicles from the property;
(4) Tow drivers working on commission who make all judgment calls and create the documentation justifying the tow;
(5) Apartment rental agreements designed to create towing opportunities in violation of state law and where tenants are tricked into signing away their rights without knowing what they are; and,
(6) Price fixing, collusion and racketeering.”
Koin 6 is keeping on the story; more to follow….